Monday, February 28, 2011

       I did some sewing this weekend.  Wanna know why?  Last week I finally gave up on the sewing 'studio' arrangement.  It was not working and I just couldn't get anything done.  So I took an hour one day and broke it down.  Guess what?  Less is more.  I promise some pics soon, hopefully before and after.  The new space is much more motivating and I got busy.
     I got this put together this weekend.  It's a pretty good size.  It's 66 by 80 without any borders yet.  I think it would have looked beautiful set on point but since I already had the sashings and corner blocks cut, I went with this.  I love the green sashing, I think it's called cactus or asparagus.  Still waiting for my color card to get here.  And isn't that red block jarring?  It's not as bad in person but I wish I'd picked it out as one of the blocks for the back.                                                  

Then I played with some applique.  I got this Don't Look Now pattern called Peak Hour and wanted to play with a few of the designs.  These are on cloth diapers for 'spit rags', aka burp cloths.  I haven't sewed them down yet but they really make me smile.  And I have enough pregnant friends at work to find homes for these.                                                                                                                    


I saw a tutorial recently that took a 9 patch block and cut it diagonally twice.  So I thought I'd try it.  I made two 9 patches using charms squares. (I cut some charms into four 2 1/2 inch squares).  This is a good example of the impact of seam allowances.  It took four and a half 5 inch squares to end up with 2 five and 3/4 inch blocks!  I didn't look up the tutorial, I thought I would remember it.  However, I don't think this is how they were supposed to go together.  Too bad, I like them anyway.

But wait!  There's more.  Last night I had a little playtime and made some wonky churndash.  These were fun and easy.  I am not crazy about the 'thick' sides so next time I will avoid that. 
PS - my fabric diet is OVER!!  Hot diggity dog.  Over the weekend I pre-ordered a mess of Sherbet Pips. I love that line and I think it's going to sell out right and left.  I also went to the local JoAnn's yesterday and picked out some fabric for a backing for my red and yellow quilt.  It is SO cute.  I'll show you tomorrow.  And I'll show you the kona solids that I got for my birthday too.   Buh bye!

3 comments:

  1. Lisa, I like your diagonally cut nine patches. I've never seen that before. I'm going to try it!
    JoAnne in so. California

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what you have been working on. The new fabric line from moda is adorable. I might have to make a scrub top out of the red one. Your burp clothes are just so cute. Can't wait to spend time with you and have some fun! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. sherbet pips. drool! i am banned from fabric purchases right now, but i think that line is divine!

    ReplyDelete