Thursday, February 17, 2011

How long does it take to make a quilt?

How often do you get asked this question?  I never know what to say since it all depends on so many factors.  Well, I discovered that I can get one done pretty quick if I want.  Last Sunday at dinner I found out that a friend at work had emergency surgery.  He's been ill for a short while with a lousy diagnosis.  I decided that I really wanted to get going and make him a quilt.  And I also decided that I wanted to be able to get it to him while he was in the hospital.  Since patients don't get to stay in the hospital all that long, I really had to get moving.  But what kind of fabrics do I have for a man?  Hmmm.  Batiks!!  And guess what?  I found a stack of batik charms in my stash.  Yahoo, a time saver.  I started at 9pm on Sunday.

I worked for a couple hours and had these done by the time I went to bed.  I decided to keep it simple with some 4 patches and large squares.                            

This is what I had by the time I had to leave for work Monday at 1pm.  No borders for this quilt, I made it about 55 inches by 74.                                                                    

Tuesday morning I sandwiched the quilt.  Rosie decided she likes batting.  Why is it that I find it so hard to disturb my kitties?   In this house we are ridiculously flattered when any of the cats show us attention.  Silly!

But look at her, who wouldn't want to snuggle up on some batting?

I had to get this quilt basted so I cut her adrift, hee hee.  Poor gal, once I started with the spray baste, she left.                                                                                 

Thursday evening, it's done!  I kept the quilting very simple, just diagonal through the squares.  I wanted to do more but really didn't have enough time.                                           

I found a manly backing from the fabrics my mom gave me recently.  I added a simple label that co-workers could sign  plus my little label (from Etsy which is awesome!). 
So there you have it.  Started late Sunday evening and finished Thursday evening.   And I worked every day too.   I will deliver it tomorrow after I get a few more signatures on the label.  Goodnight!

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing to do! A cheerful, quick quilt for a sick friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very impressed. I wish I could allocate more time to quilt. The recipient is blessed to have you as a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't work and it would take me longer than that! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is speedy. Love all the four patches with the blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a bright and cozy quilt. He will feel comforted with it on top of him.
    Andrea, Minnesota

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is awesome -- you are my hero!! The question sure has a different answer for me. How long does it take to make a quilt? I'm not sure --I hope I can get one done sometime before 2012:)

    ReplyDelete